Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sea Change by Aimee Friedman

Sixteen-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science. . .and not so great with boys. After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, she's happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate.
There, Miranda finds new friends and an island with a mysterious, mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship. . .and reality.

Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined?

This book is said to be for young adults although I couldn't find a more specific age group.


Rachel's Thoughts: The story begins strongly and then it seems to lull. All the while, you're waiting to find out if in fact her love interest is a merman. You wait, and you wait, and then the book is over. Huh? I liked the idea of the story and her writing, but I really felt like it dropped me at the end with not so much as a fishing net to grab on to! So, I guess I'll say that I enjoyed the story and really hope there's a sequel so I can find out if her love interest is who we all think he is. I gave this book 4 bookmarks.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I hate that. It's like you want the story to be better, and keep waiting for it, and it doesn't happen. One of the reasons why I embraced my writerly self... because I was always wanting better stories, so thought I'd make them myself.

    Nice to meet you. :) You look so familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok... duh, Rachel! Now I know why you're familiar... I follow your other blog. LOL! I knew I knew you.... what can I say, my brain is mush after vacation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH, vacation can do that to you! Yah, I don't really share this blog with many people. Probably because I haven't built it up enough, but glad you stopped by. Have you read any of these books?

    ReplyDelete